After decades of active practice on the American popular music scene, Chicago-based Ghanaian artiste developer and producer, Benjamin Osafo, better known as Ben Funkman, is convinced that hiphop is a God-sent economic asset to black people that they have not taken due advantage of.
Funkman has been domiciled in the United States over the last 38 years and has vast experience in all aspects of the music business. He is the CEO of Unitty Entertainment which has worked over the last decade or so, in his words, “to transform Chicago into the new hotspot of entertainment in America.”
With his knowledge of the American music scene, Funkman says black people everywhere must see the great gift God has given them through hiphop and work to take control of it at the executive level.
“Anytime black music takes over the world, there are no black executives who can realise that it is an economic gift God has given to us to use to enrich our people and make our neighbourhoods, cities and countries better.
“White folks take our hiphop and they write the cheques and they take it to make their nations better while we just drive nice cars and put gold chains on our necks and think we are hip,” Funkman said in an interview with Showbiz at Scratch Studios in Accra.
He came to town for his mother’s funeral and took the advantage to hook up with old pal, Kofi Amoakohene who is CEO of Scratch Studios and Entertainment, a one-stop music outfit based at East Legon.
A product of the Presbyterian Secondary School (Presec) at Legon in Accra and the Chicago Business Institute, Funkman’s conviction is that Ghanaian songwriters, producers and engineers must learn to be competitive worldwide.
He was emphatic that it was not enough for people to have musical talent but that there must be adequate knowledge at the executive level to positively control and channel the talent to the advantage of the artistes and their environment.
He is ready to make his knowledge in the music industry available here so his Unitty Entertainment Company has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Scratch to facilitate that.
“The partnership with Scratch is to try and take the entertainment business in Ghana to the next level. Those of us with the knowledge are willing to teach. If we are not willing to learn, Ghana music would be dead because there are no Ghanaian artistes of solid international repute out there.
“There has been none since Osibisa. It would be easy to teach here because Scratch already has the resources to facilitate passing on of knowledge to engineers, producers and songwriters to be worldwide competitive,” Funkman said.
He added that under the MOU with Scratch, there would be exchange of different categories of personnel in the entertainment industry between Unitty Entertainment and Scratch for cross-fertilisation of ideas.
“From Ghana, we should be able to create artistes who will be able to create something unique, culture-changing and globally- acceptable,” Funkman said.
Kofi Amoakohene also said Scratch would develop an in-house sound which would be used as the basis to get Ghanaian music into the American and general foreign market.
He urged Ghanaian artistes willing to be part of the project with Unitty to send samples of their music to Scratch.
By Kouame Koulibaly/Graphic Showbiz/Ghana
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- SHOCKER!! Crazy Woman Shares Video Of Herself Dancing Dirty In Her Room
- Watch Video: Married Professor Caught Having S*x With Student In His Office
- PHOTOS: Kennedy Agyapong Releases Another Set Of Nude Pictures of Afia Schwazenegger
- Watch: Stup!d Girl Goes N@ked On The Snow, SEE What Happens
- Couple Were Caught Having S3x At Road 1 Gate Of A University
- Dirty as Video of Student Fingering Herself With Pen Leaks
- OMG!! Girl Buried In Deep Pit For 8 Months For Rituals By Her Boyfriend Survives, SEE Shocking Photos
- Shame As Private Photos Of C Poly Student Goes Viral On Campus
- WATCH: Mother Caught Daughter Chatting A Boy On Facebook, What She Did Next Will Shock You
- VIDEO: ‘Tricky Miracle’ as Bishop Obinim retrieves Church Member’s Old Passport From The Cemetery
- Sidechick Humiliates Wife On Facebook By Posting Photos of Her And The Woman's Husband Having S*x, SEE Shocking Photos
- Video Of Cheating Wife Having S3x With Boyfriend While 2 Year Old Son Cries Goes Viral
- Shame As Lesbian S*xtape Of Business Tycoon’s Daughter Goes Viral
- WATCH Video: Old Man 'Still Attached To Prostitute After Dying During S.ex'
- Xclusive: An Ex-Boyfriend of Afia Schwarzenegger CONFIRMS That There Is ‘Nunu’ Scent Down There - So Ken Agyepong Was Right
- Shocking! Top Civil Servant Caught on Camera Having S*x with Lover in His Office
- Kenyan Tourist Leaks Rwanda Lover's Private Photos Online
- Biology Teacher Impregnates 6 Students At Ola Girls SHS During Reproductive Health Experiment
- Cocaine Queen, Nayele Pops Up Again, Threatens To Release Video That Will Cripple Mahama’s Gov’t
- ‘I Fortify 1,700 Prophets in Africa, Including TB Joshua’ – Nana Kwaku Bonsam
- TB Joshua’s Daughter Reveals Dad’s Secrets
- IN PHOTOS: Meet The Top 10 Richest Men In Ghana, Number 1 Will Shock You
- My "Tonga" Is Bigger Than Those In The Leaked Pictures – Afia Schwarznegger Hits Back
- OMG!! Busty Actress, Cossy Orjiakor Sets The Internet on Fire With New Photos of Her Huge B**bs
- AUDIO: Kennedy Agyapong Takes Afia Schwarzenegger To The Cleaners, Threatens To Leak Her Private Photos
- VIDEO: Booty Queen, Vera Sidika Sets The Internet on Fire in Sensational Twerking Stunt
- Stupid Guy Rapes Facebook Girlfriend With His Friend and Later Posts The Video Online
- Dirty: Just Imagine What This Couple are Doing In Public - Photo
- AUDIO: Afia Schwarzenegger Replies Ken Agyapong, Accuses Him Of Having S3x With Minors and More
- AUDIO: Kennedy Agyapong Replies Afia Schwazenegger Again Reveals She Has HIV and More
- I Have Infected 31 of My Lecturers With HIV - Ghanaian Student Confesses and More
- Shame!! Video Of Female Nigerian Students Shaving In Hostel Goes Viral
- Methodist Primary School Teacher Strips Girl N@ked, Reason Will Shock You
- Fake Yvonne Nelson Defrauds Man, SEE Photos + Audio
- JUST IN: JB Danquah’s ‘Killer’ Arrested
- IN PHOTOS: Check out 10 Badass Scandals That Shook Ghanaian Entertainment Industry
- OMG!! Actress Afrocandy Promote Her Site With Bad Photos
- Mr Ibu Dancing To Limpopo, Ur Waist, Karolina and Yori Yori
- For Your Viewing Pleasure: OMG! This 10 Hot Photos of Moesha Boduong Will Make Your Day
- End Times: Watch As Shameless Girl Gives A Guy Blow Job In Public
- AUDIO: Afia Schwarzenegger and Joyce Dzidzor Mensah Argue Over HIV/AIDS Cash on Radio
- AUDIO: Kennedy Agyapong Hints Stan Dogbe's Involment In J.B Danquah's Murder