On October 7, 2011 sounding very philosophical, he wrote on his social media site Facebook: “It’s been a busy week and now it’s Friday.
I’ll be back on Monday on World service Radio-I leave you with one of my favorite Steve Jobs Quotes- think about this and have a lovely weekend-”Remembering that I’ll be dead soon is the most important tool I’ve ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything – all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure – these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.”
“God has been v good to me., last year I experienced a lot f illness….my BP nearly gave me a stroke but I trod on…… waking up at 2:am and heading to work..exhausted sometimes..arching in my body a soul..mentally and emotional drained..but I kept going.. I smiled for the camera.. I volunteered for extra shifts..i showed respect to my colleagues from directors to the security guards..i took of a lot jealousy driven vicious insult and backstabbing from petty people without reply.. I remained silent in my personal strife and misery..i kept smiling and pushing to present better and to engage w my audience and increase my following., long days and frustrating times..but I kept going..through the westgate coverage through the Mandela funeral..even when illness had me collapsing I delivered..today my boss the head of television called me for a one minute meeting..he said Komla we have decided to make you the anchor presenter for our coverage of the world cup in Brazil..we shook hands and I left..i looked to the sky and said thank you Lord for reminding me that you are on my side..the enemy will be scattered..Selah! Selah! Praise Him..tomorrow is another day”……Komla Dumor wrote to Manazeh Awuni last Friday and died the next day.
BBC TV presenter Komla Dumor, has died suddenly at his home in London at the age of 41, it has been announced.
Ghana-born Dumor was a presenter for BBC World News and its Focus on Africa programme.
One of Ghana’s best-known journalists, he joined the BBC as a radio broadcaster in 2007 after a decade of journalism in Ghana.
BBC Global News Director , Peter Horrocks called Dumor a leading light of African journalism who would be deeply missed. He was “committed to telling the story of Africa as it really is,” Mr Horrocks said in a statement.
“Africa’s energy and enthusiasm seemed to shine through every story Komla told”.
“Komla’s many friends and colleagues across Africa and the world will be as devastated as we are by this shocking news.” “The sympathies of all his colleagues at the BBC are with his family and friends.”
Komla Dumor featured in New African magazine’s November 2013 list of 100 most influential Africans. It said he had “established himself as one of the emerging African faces of global broadcasting”, who had “considerable influence on how the continent is covered”.
Komla Dumor was born on October 3, 1972 in Accra, Ghana. He graduated with a Bachelor of Art (BA) in Sociology and Psychology from the University of Ghana, and a Masters in Public Administration from Harvard University.
He won the Ghana Journalist of the Year award in 2003 and joined the BBC four years later.
I first met him in Ghana in 2007… I noticed even then how young Ghanaian journalists looked up to him ”
From then until 2009 he hosted Network Africa for BBC World Service radio, before joining The World Today programme.
In 2009, Komla Dumor became the first host of Africa Business Report on BBC World News.
He was a regular presenter of Focus on Africa and had fronted the programme the day before he died.
He travelled across Africa, meeting the continent’s top entrepreneurs and reporting on the latest business trends around the continent. He interviewed a number of high-profile guests, including Bill Gates and Kofi Annan.
Last month, he covered the funeral of former South African President, Nelson Mandela, whom he described as “one of the greatest figures of modern history”.
He anchored live coverage of major events, including the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, the funeral of Kim Jong-il, the release of Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit, the Norway shootings and the wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton.
In his review of 2013, published last month, Dumor said the passing of Mandela was “one of the moments that will stay with me”.
“Covering the funeral for me will always be a special moment. I will look back on it with a sense of sadness. But also with gratitude. I feel lucky to have been a witness to that part of the Mandela story.”
Meeting Komla Dumor for the first time in Ghana in 2007, BBC chief international correspondent, Lyse Doucet, said she had noticed how young Ghanaian journalists looked up to him.
He never flinched from asking tough questions, but also loved to share a laugh, she says.
She adds that Komla Dumor had many loves, including football, his faith, his family: “He always said ‘I just love talking with people’.”
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- University Of Cape Coast SRC Student Dancing In The Nude - Video 2
- Pastor sleeps with teenage girl who came for prayers - Video
- John Dumelo And Christabel Ekeh's S3x Tape Leaks - Video
- UCC Student Naa Korkor Addo's Leaked Video Goes Viral - Video 1
- Kofi Ofori-Attah, Late Citi Fm Presenter’s Wife Demanded GHC 7,000 To Be F**ked In Obuasi - Audio
- Popular Politician Caught With Female Student In Hotel Room
- More Revelations About UCC Student Abena Korkor Addo Whose Private Videos Went Viral - Video
- Citi Fm Presenter Recorded 6,000 Phone Calls Of His Wife’s Conversation With Boyfriends Before Wife Killed Him - Audio
- My Husband Can't Satisfy Me In Bed, Woman Opens Up
- Mzbel Narrates How University Students Pulled Down Her Pants And Fingered Her After A Performance
- Late Citi FM Presenter Saga Continues: “Would You F**K Me In The Anus Or V*gina” - Audio
- Nigerian man who leaked nude photos of his Ugandan singer girlfriend online, arrested
- Captain Smart Of Adom FM Allegedly Defrauding Women, See Photos Of His Numerous Girlfriends
- Photos Of Popular Stars Naked In ESPN Magazine
- Parents Pick Up UCC Girl From Campus After Her Nude Video Goes Viral - Video
- Nollywood Actor Hanks Anuku Infected With HIV/AIDS After Sleeping With 80 Women
- Best S3x Positions To Satisfy A Woman If You Have A Small Manhood
- University Student's S*x Tape Goes Viral
- Lesbians Shit Bombed In Accra
- Obinim Schwarzenegar
- Twenty Most Hated People In Ghana Right Now
- Stephen Asamoah, Former Minister of Information Denies Bonking ‘Twerking’ UCC Girl
- Gospel Musician Comfort Annor Cries For Financial Help As Kidney And Liver Fails
- Ghanaian Player, Boateng Gets Lifetime Ban By FIFA
- Chris Attoh Weds Damilola Adegbite On Valentine’s Day - Photos
- UCC Student Nana Abena Korkor Addo says she released the videos herself so nobody should be blamed
- Shs Student Killed Over Gay Sex
- Popular Stars Strip For ESPN Magazine
- Comfort Annor, Veteran Gospel Musician Is Dead!
- Top Illuminati Celebs In Africa Exposed
- Medical Student Reveals How She Escaped Rape
- Asamoah Boateng, Former Minister Claims He Helped Korkor The UCC Student, But Didn’t Sleep With Her
- UCC Girl
- Check Out 5 Kumawood Actors With Bad Fashion Sense
- Photos Of Black Stars Returning Home After Painful Defeat
- Check Out 14 Ghanaian Celebrities With Children But Are Not Married
- Nigerian Actress Bose Arowosegbe Claims All Women Are Prostitutes
- Crazy woman dancing
- Check Out 24 Ghanaian Celebrity Beefs You Didn’t Know About And The Real Reasons Behind Them
- Father Of Nadia Buari's Twins Revealed?
- Kumawood Actor, Akrobeto’s Fetish Priest Girlfriend Buys Him Hummer Car
- 18 Year Old Stabs Husband To Death After 5 Days Of Marriage [Video]