On October 7, 2011 sounding very philosophical, he wrote on his social media site Facebook: “It’s been a busy week and now it’s Friday.
I’ll be back on Monday on World service Radio-I leave you with one of my favorite Steve Jobs Quotes- think about this and have a lovely weekend-”Remembering that I’ll be dead soon is the most important tool I’ve ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything – all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure – these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.”
“God has been v good to me., last year I experienced a lot f illness….my BP nearly gave me a stroke but I trod on…… waking up at 2:am and heading to work..exhausted sometimes..arching in my body a soul..mentally and emotional drained..but I kept going.. I smiled for the camera.. I volunteered for extra shifts..i showed respect to my colleagues from directors to the security guards..i took of a lot jealousy driven vicious insult and backstabbing from petty people without reply.. I remained silent in my personal strife and misery..i kept smiling and pushing to present better and to engage w my audience and increase my following., long days and frustrating times..but I kept going..through the westgate coverage through the Mandela funeral..even when illness had me collapsing I delivered..today my boss the head of television called me for a one minute meeting..he said Komla we have decided to make you the anchor presenter for our coverage of the world cup in Brazil..we shook hands and I left..i looked to the sky and said thank you Lord for reminding me that you are on my side..the enemy will be scattered..Selah! Selah! Praise Him..tomorrow is another day”……Komla Dumor wrote to Manazeh Awuni last Friday and died the next day.
BBC TV presenter Komla Dumor, has died suddenly at his home in London at the age of 41, it has been announced.
Ghana-born Dumor was a presenter for BBC World News and its Focus on Africa programme.
One of Ghana’s best-known journalists, he joined the BBC as a radio broadcaster in 2007 after a decade of journalism in Ghana.
BBC Global News Director , Peter Horrocks called Dumor a leading light of African journalism who would be deeply missed. He was “committed to telling the story of Africa as it really is,” Mr Horrocks said in a statement.
“Africa’s energy and enthusiasm seemed to shine through every story Komla told”.
“Komla’s many friends and colleagues across Africa and the world will be as devastated as we are by this shocking news.” “The sympathies of all his colleagues at the BBC are with his family and friends.”
Komla Dumor featured in New African magazine’s November 2013 list of 100 most influential Africans. It said he had “established himself as one of the emerging African faces of global broadcasting”, who had “considerable influence on how the continent is covered”.
Komla Dumor was born on October 3, 1972 in Accra, Ghana. He graduated with a Bachelor of Art (BA) in Sociology and Psychology from the University of Ghana, and a Masters in Public Administration from Harvard University.
He won the Ghana Journalist of the Year award in 2003 and joined the BBC four years later.
I first met him in Ghana in 2007… I noticed even then how young Ghanaian journalists looked up to him ”
From then until 2009 he hosted Network Africa for BBC World Service radio, before joining The World Today programme.
In 2009, Komla Dumor became the first host of Africa Business Report on BBC World News.
He was a regular presenter of Focus on Africa and had fronted the programme the day before he died.
He travelled across Africa, meeting the continent’s top entrepreneurs and reporting on the latest business trends around the continent. He interviewed a number of high-profile guests, including Bill Gates and Kofi Annan.
Last month, he covered the funeral of former South African President, Nelson Mandela, whom he described as “one of the greatest figures of modern history”.
He anchored live coverage of major events, including the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, the funeral of Kim Jong-il, the release of Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit, the Norway shootings and the wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton.
In his review of 2013, published last month, Dumor said the passing of Mandela was “one of the moments that will stay with me”.
“Covering the funeral for me will always be a special moment. I will look back on it with a sense of sadness. But also with gratitude. I feel lucky to have been a witness to that part of the Mandela story.”
Meeting Komla Dumor for the first time in Ghana in 2007, BBC chief international correspondent, Lyse Doucet, said she had noticed how young Ghanaian journalists looked up to him.
He never flinched from asking tough questions, but also loved to share a laugh, she says.
She adds that Komla Dumor had many loves, including football, his faith, his family: “He always said ‘I just love talking with people’.”
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- President Of Ghana Impregnates Sultry Famous Actress
- Video: Shocking As Pastor Baths His Female Church Members [Beware Of False Prophets]
- SHS Student And House Master's S3x Tape Goes Viral (Part 1)
- SHS Student And House Master's S3x Tape Goes Viral (Part 2)
- UCC Girl
- Ghanaian Actress And Politician’s Daughter Caught In Lesbian Act [Video]
- The UCC Girl
- Parents Pick Up UCC Girl From Campus After Her Nude Video Goes Viral - Video
- Ghanaian girl allegedly caught having s3x with her sick client
- Lesbians Shit Bombed In Accra
- Top Illuminati Celebs In Africa Exposed
- Meet 11 Hollywood Celebrities Who Are Actually Ghanaians
- Husband Beats And Strips Wife Naked After Catching Her In Bed With Boyfriend [Video]
- Roselyn Ngissah Opens Up About Her Private Life – Video
- Daniel Obinim's Prophesy
- White Man Sucks On Cossy Orjiakor's Boobs
- Father Of Nadia Buari's Twins Revealed?
- Check Out 5 Kumawood Actors With Bad Fashion Sense
- UnBelievable What Jim Iyke’s Team Said About Nadia Buari’s Twins
- Kumawood Actor, Akrobeto’s Fetish Priest Girlfriend Buys Him Hummer Car
- Several Children Die In Bus Crash While Going On School Excursion To Mount Afadjato - Graphic Photos
- Facebook Girl's Nak3d Pictures To Whiteman Goes Viral
- Meet 9 Famous Ghanaians Who Don’t Believe In God Nor Jesus Christ
- Nigerian Actress Bose Arowosegbe Claims All Women Are Prostitutes
- Check Out 17 Beautiful Photos Of Your Favorite Ghanaian Celebs With Their Parents
- Takoradi Sakawa Boy And Lover's S3x Tape Leaked (Part 1)
- Pastor Chris And Ex-Wife Share Their 2 Children
- White Girl Dancing To Skelewu
- Check Out Becca In New Photos
- Married Boss Caught In The Act With His Secretary
- Controversial Presenter Afia Schwarzenegger Makes A Move
- Nadia Buari’s Step Father Angry With Mahama Saga
- Check Out 11 Photos Of Ghanaian Celebrities That Will Inspire You To Hit The Gym
- Check Out Video Of A Strange Creature That Has Appeared At The Sea Shore
- Ahuof3 Patri Reveals Every Girl Has A Kalybos In Her Life
- Asamoah Gyan Buying A Private Jet – Photos
- 7 Vaginal Hygiene That Every Ghanaian Girl Must Know
- Alleged Legon Gay Porn Students Speaks – AUDIO
- Divorce Case Gets Messier As Pastor Chris Ignores Enstrange Wife's Birthday
- 12 Mistakes Men Do In Bed And How To Avoid Them
- University Student Falls And Dies During Prayer Session Held On School Roof