On October 7, 2011 sounding very philosophical, he wrote on his social media site Facebook: “It’s been a busy week and now it’s Friday.
I’ll be back on Monday on World service Radio-I leave you with one of my favorite Steve Jobs Quotes- think about this and have a lovely weekend-”Remembering that I’ll be dead soon is the most important tool I’ve ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything – all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure – these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.”
“God has been v good to me., last year I experienced a lot f illness….my BP nearly gave me a stroke but I trod on…… waking up at 2:am and heading to work..exhausted sometimes..arching in my body a soul..mentally and emotional drained..but I kept going.. I smiled for the camera.. I volunteered for extra shifts..i showed respect to my colleagues from directors to the security guards..i took of a lot jealousy driven vicious insult and backstabbing from petty people without reply.. I remained silent in my personal strife and misery..i kept smiling and pushing to present better and to engage w my audience and increase my following., long days and frustrating times..but I kept going..through the westgate coverage through the Mandela funeral..even when illness had me collapsing I delivered..today my boss the head of television called me for a one minute meeting..he said Komla we have decided to make you the anchor presenter for our coverage of the world cup in Brazil..we shook hands and I left..i looked to the sky and said thank you Lord for reminding me that you are on my side..the enemy will be scattered..Selah! Selah! Praise Him..tomorrow is another day”……Komla Dumor wrote to Manazeh Awuni last Friday and died the next day.
BBC TV presenter Komla Dumor, has died suddenly at his home in London at the age of 41, it has been announced.
Ghana-born Dumor was a presenter for BBC World News and its Focus on Africa programme.
One of Ghana’s best-known journalists, he joined the BBC as a radio broadcaster in 2007 after a decade of journalism in Ghana.
BBC Global News Director , Peter Horrocks called Dumor a leading light of African journalism who would be deeply missed. He was “committed to telling the story of Africa as it really is,” Mr Horrocks said in a statement.
“Africa’s energy and enthusiasm seemed to shine through every story Komla told”.
“Komla’s many friends and colleagues across Africa and the world will be as devastated as we are by this shocking news.” “The sympathies of all his colleagues at the BBC are with his family and friends.”
Komla Dumor featured in New African magazine’s November 2013 list of 100 most influential Africans. It said he had “established himself as one of the emerging African faces of global broadcasting”, who had “considerable influence on how the continent is covered”.
Komla Dumor was born on October 3, 1972 in Accra, Ghana. He graduated with a Bachelor of Art (BA) in Sociology and Psychology from the University of Ghana, and a Masters in Public Administration from Harvard University.
He won the Ghana Journalist of the Year award in 2003 and joined the BBC four years later.
I first met him in Ghana in 2007… I noticed even then how young Ghanaian journalists looked up to him ”
From then until 2009 he hosted Network Africa for BBC World Service radio, before joining The World Today programme.
In 2009, Komla Dumor became the first host of Africa Business Report on BBC World News.
He was a regular presenter of Focus on Africa and had fronted the programme the day before he died.
He travelled across Africa, meeting the continent’s top entrepreneurs and reporting on the latest business trends around the continent. He interviewed a number of high-profile guests, including Bill Gates and Kofi Annan.
Last month, he covered the funeral of former South African President, Nelson Mandela, whom he described as “one of the greatest figures of modern history”.
He anchored live coverage of major events, including the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, the funeral of Kim Jong-il, the release of Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit, the Norway shootings and the wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton.
In his review of 2013, published last month, Dumor said the passing of Mandela was “one of the moments that will stay with me”.
“Covering the funeral for me will always be a special moment. I will look back on it with a sense of sadness. But also with gratitude. I feel lucky to have been a witness to that part of the Mandela story.”
Meeting Komla Dumor for the first time in Ghana in 2007, BBC chief international correspondent, Lyse Doucet, said she had noticed how young Ghanaian journalists looked up to him.
He never flinched from asking tough questions, but also loved to share a laugh, she says.
She adds that Komla Dumor had many loves, including football, his faith, his family: “He always said ‘I just love talking with people’.”
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- VIDEO: Nollywood Actress, Afrocandy Goes Fully N@ked In Leaked Video
- WATCH: Just Imagine What This Women Are Now Doing Online
- SHOCKER!! Crazy Woman Shares Video Of Herself Dancing Dirty In Her Room
- Watch Video: Married Professor Caught Having S*x With Student In His Office
- Watch: Stup!d Girl Goes N@ked On The Snow, SEE What Happens
- Couple Were Caught Having S3x At Road 1 Gate Of A University
- Dirty as 2 Lovers Shamelessly Make Out In The Open For People To Record
- PHOTOS: Kennedy Agyapong Releases Another Set Of Nude Pictures of Afia Schwazenegger
- Dirty as Video of Student Fingering Herself With Pen Leaks
- OMG!! Girl Buried In Deep Pit For 8 Months For Rituals By Her Boyfriend Survives, SEE Shocking Photos
- Shocking: See What These Female Students Are Doing To Themselves With A Bottle
- Shame As Private Photos Of C Poly Student Goes Viral On Campus
- VIDEO: ‘Tricky Miracle’ as Bishop Obinim retrieves Church Member’s Old Passport From The Cemetery
- WATCH: Mother Caught Daughter Chatting A Boy On Facebook, What She Did Next Will Shock You
- EXPOSED!! See Photos Of White Man Who Loves Sleeping With Young African Girls
- Sidechick Humiliates Wife On Facebook By Posting Photos of Her And The Woman's Husband Having S*x, SEE Shocking Photos
- Xclusive: An Ex-Boyfriend of Afia Schwarzenegger CONFIRMS That There Is ‘Nunu’ Scent Down There - So Ken Agyepong Was Right
- Biology Teacher Impregnates 6 Students At Ola Girls SHS During Reproductive Health Experiment
- Shame As Lesbian S*xtape Of Business Tycoon’s Daughter Goes Viral
- Shocking! Top Civil Servant Caught on Camera Having S*x with Lover in His Office
- OMG!! SEE What Facebook Did To This Lady For Posting Her N*de Pictures Online
- Kenyan Tourist Leaks Rwanda Lover's Private Photos Online
- Cocaine Queen, Nayele Pops Up Again, Threatens To Release Video That Will Cripple Mahama’s Gov’t
- WATCH Video: Old Man 'Still Attached To Prostitute After Dying During S.ex'
- Video Of Cheating Wife Having S3x With Boyfriend While 2 Year Old Son Cries Goes Viral
- ‘I Fortify 1,700 Prophets in Africa, Including TB Joshua’ – Nana Kwaku Bonsam
- OMG!! Busty Actress, Cossy Orjiakor Sets The Internet on Fire With New Photos of Her Huge B**bs
- IN PHOTOS: Meet The Top 10 Richest Men In Ghana, Number 1 Will Shock You
- TB Joshua’s Daughter Reveals Dad’s Secrets
- AUDIO: Kennedy Agyapong Takes Afia Schwarzenegger To The Cleaners, Threatens To Leak Her Private Photos
- Dirty: Just Imagine What This Couple are Doing In Public - Photo
- AUDIO: Kennedy Agyapong Replies Afia Schwazenegger Again Reveals She Has HIV and More
- AUDIO: Afia Schwarzenegger Replies Ken Agyapong, Accuses Him Of Having S3x With Minors and More
- I Have Infected 31 of My Lecturers With HIV - Ghanaian Student Confesses and More
- Marry 2 Wives OR Go To Jail, Eritrea Gets New Law Over Shortage of Husband
- VIDEO: Booty Queen, Vera Sidika Sets The Internet on Fire in Sensational Twerking Stunt
- My "Tonga" Is Bigger Than Those In The Leaked Pictures – Afia Schwarznegger Hits Back
- Methodist Primary School Teacher Strips Girl N@ked, Reason Will Shock You
- Fake Yvonne Nelson Defrauds Man, SEE Photos + Audio
- IN PHOTOS: Check out 10 Badass Scandals That Shook Ghanaian Entertainment Industry
- VIDEO: Taxi Driver Knocks Down Armed Robbers On Motorbike
- Ghanaians Break My Heart - President Robert Mugabe Fires Again