On October 7, 2011 sounding very philosophical, he wrote on his social media site Facebook: “It’s been a busy week and now it’s Friday.
I’ll be back on Monday on World service Radio-I leave you with one of my favorite Steve Jobs Quotes- think about this and have a lovely weekend-”Remembering that I’ll be dead soon is the most important tool I’ve ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything – all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure – these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.”
“God has been v good to me., last year I experienced a lot f illness….my BP nearly gave me a stroke but I trod on…… waking up at 2:am and heading to work..exhausted sometimes..arching in my body a soul..mentally and emotional drained..but I kept going.. I smiled for the camera.. I volunteered for extra shifts..i showed respect to my colleagues from directors to the security guards..i took of a lot jealousy driven vicious insult and backstabbing from petty people without reply.. I remained silent in my personal strife and misery..i kept smiling and pushing to present better and to engage w my audience and increase my following., long days and frustrating times..but I kept going..through the westgate coverage through the Mandela funeral..even when illness had me collapsing I delivered..today my boss the head of television called me for a one minute meeting..he said Komla we have decided to make you the anchor presenter for our coverage of the world cup in Brazil..we shook hands and I left..i looked to the sky and said thank you Lord for reminding me that you are on my side..the enemy will be scattered..Selah! Selah! Praise Him..tomorrow is another day”……Komla Dumor wrote to Manazeh Awuni last Friday and died the next day.
BBC TV presenter Komla Dumor, has died suddenly at his home in London at the age of 41, it has been announced.
Ghana-born Dumor was a presenter for BBC World News and its Focus on Africa programme.
One of Ghana’s best-known journalists, he joined the BBC as a radio broadcaster in 2007 after a decade of journalism in Ghana.
BBC Global News Director , Peter Horrocks called Dumor a leading light of African journalism who would be deeply missed. He was “committed to telling the story of Africa as it really is,” Mr Horrocks said in a statement.
“Africa’s energy and enthusiasm seemed to shine through every story Komla told”.
“Komla’s many friends and colleagues across Africa and the world will be as devastated as we are by this shocking news.” “The sympathies of all his colleagues at the BBC are with his family and friends.”
Komla Dumor featured in New African magazine’s November 2013 list of 100 most influential Africans. It said he had “established himself as one of the emerging African faces of global broadcasting”, who had “considerable influence on how the continent is covered”.
Komla Dumor was born on October 3, 1972 in Accra, Ghana. He graduated with a Bachelor of Art (BA) in Sociology and Psychology from the University of Ghana, and a Masters in Public Administration from Harvard University.
He won the Ghana Journalist of the Year award in 2003 and joined the BBC four years later.
I first met him in Ghana in 2007… I noticed even then how young Ghanaian journalists looked up to him ”
From then until 2009 he hosted Network Africa for BBC World Service radio, before joining The World Today programme.
In 2009, Komla Dumor became the first host of Africa Business Report on BBC World News.
He was a regular presenter of Focus on Africa and had fronted the programme the day before he died.
He travelled across Africa, meeting the continent’s top entrepreneurs and reporting on the latest business trends around the continent. He interviewed a number of high-profile guests, including Bill Gates and Kofi Annan.
Last month, he covered the funeral of former South African President, Nelson Mandela, whom he described as “one of the greatest figures of modern history”.
He anchored live coverage of major events, including the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, the funeral of Kim Jong-il, the release of Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit, the Norway shootings and the wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton.
In his review of 2013, published last month, Dumor said the passing of Mandela was “one of the moments that will stay with me”.
“Covering the funeral for me will always be a special moment. I will look back on it with a sense of sadness. But also with gratitude. I feel lucky to have been a witness to that part of the Mandela story.”
Meeting Komla Dumor for the first time in Ghana in 2007, BBC chief international correspondent, Lyse Doucet, said she had noticed how young Ghanaian journalists looked up to him.
He never flinched from asking tough questions, but also loved to share a laugh, she says.
She adds that Komla Dumor had many loves, including football, his faith, his family: “He always said ‘I just love talking with people’.”
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- VIDEO: Shame!! Wife Caught With Husband's Uncle Having Fun On A Farm - [+18]
- Big Brother Africa Shower Time
- Wife Caught With Husband Uncle Having Fun On A Farm
- Shocking What This Girl Did Inside A Swimming Pool
- Hilarious: See What This Lady Sent To Her Lover When He Asked For Boob Pictures
- Video: Married-Woman Caught Cheating After Faking A Night Vigil
- Shocking video emerges of couple having sex in the street
- OMG!! Guys, Don’t Jump into Bed With Every Girl You See [Must Read]
- Man Sets Up CCTV, Caught His Wife And Pastor Doing It - Video
- OMG!! 51 Year Old Sinitta Shows Off Her Underwear In High Slit Dress
- Shocking: See What This Guy Did To A Lady In Public - Photos
- Bishop Obinim Reacts To Widely Publicized P*nis Healing Video - [+18]
- China Restaurant Asks Girls To Serve Food N*ked To Promote Sales - Photos
- SHOCKING: See Some Of The Evil Things NPP Do In Darkness
- Controversial Pastor, Obinim Shows Church Member’s Private Part On TV
- OMG!! Six Sports Stars Pose N*ked For ESPN Cover Shoots - Photos
- OMG!!Tupac Shakur Finally Comes Out After 19 Years Of Hiding - Video
- Must Read: Guys!! Here Are The Reasons Why You Last A Minute In Bed
- Sexy Actress, Moesha Boudong Shows-Off Her Twerking Skills
- 27 Year Old Woman’s Butt Implant Explodes At The Gym While Doing Squats - Video
- Just Imagine What This Man Is Doing To His Wife And Son - Photos
- Shame As This Guy Leaks Ex-Girlfriend's Private Photos [+18]
- 50 Year Old Woman Face Daily Barrage Of Abuse Because Of Her Over-Sized Asset
- Return of Sex Clinic
- Asamoah Gyan Begs Girl To Delete S3x Tape - [Audio]
- Hilarious: Pastor Disgraced After Women Storm His Wedding Claiming To Be Married To Him - Raw Photos
- Reggie Rockstone Battles For His Life At The Hospital After..
- Married Woman Opens Up On Her Addiction To Men And S3x
- Bedroom Matters: My Boyfriend’s Father Is Better Than Him
- Over 2 Million Homosexuals Flood The Streets To Perform Mock Crucifixion Of Jesus
- Police Officer Rapes Woman At Gunpoint For 7 Hours - Video
- BREAKING NEWS!! Prophet TB Joshua Guilty Of Killing 116 People, Magistrate Rules
- Kim Kardashian To File For Divorce After She Caught Kanye West Masturbating To A Photo Of Himself
- End Domestic Violence: Woman Matches Her Husband Blow For Blow Cheered By Neighbours
- Shocking!! Man Bites Off Lover's Clitoris Over Infidelity
- Ladies: Check Out 8 Rules To Achieving Multiple Orgasms
- Ghanaian Actress, Vicky Zugah Escapes Death After A KIA Truck Crashes Into Her Car - [Graphic Photos]
- My Lifestyle Is All Fake, My Cars Are Rented And Jewelry Borrowed - US Rapper, 50 Cent Claims
- Unblievable What Convicted Gay Doctor, Ali Gabass Told An Investigative Journalist
- Sex Clinic
- BREAKING NEWS: President Mahama And Wife Escape Death
- Legalize Homosexuality In Ghana, Queenmother Insists