- A retired Marine says the mysterious plane is an SR-72 - a super-fast spy plane currently in development
- The SR-72 is designed to cross entire continents in less than an hour, unmanned
- Developers at Lockheed Martin say the plane could be operational by 2030
- The man who photographed the plane doesn't believe it's an SR-72 but rather a stealth transport plane
By Ashley Collman and Mark Prigg
PUBLISHED: 04:03 GMT, 2 April 2014 | UPDATED: 09:24 GMT, 2 April 2014
A retired Marine with nearly two decades of aviation experience has stepped forward with a compelling theory about a mysterious plane that was spotted flying over Texas last month.
On March 10, photographers Steve Douglass and Dean Muskett took pictures of three puzzling aircraft flying over Amarillo, and posted them online in hopes of identifying the planes.
Retired-Marine James Vineyard has submitted one of the more interesting explanations, telling the Houston Chronicle he believes they are SR-72 Blackbirds - a spy plane that can cross the U.S. in less than an hour, unmanned.
The triangle over Texas: Two photographers captured this mysterious object flying over Texas last month
Mystery solved? A retired Marine says the plane pictured in Amarillo last month is the SR-72 Blackbird - a plane designed to cross the country in less than an hour
The mystery aircraft seen over Amarillo on March 10. Three of the craft were spotted flying by
THE FIRST STEALTH JET
In 1956, British magazines started getting eyewitness accounts and grainy photos of the Lockheed U-2, then operating out of RAF Lakenheath on its first spy flights over the Soviet Union - marking the first sight of a stealth plane that government's had hoped to keep secret from prying eyes.
It provided day and night, very high-altitude (70,000 feet / 21,000 m), all-weather intelligence gathering.
Vineyard spent 17 years as a Marine and also worked with a jet squadron in Arizona.
He says the Pentagon may have dispatched the planes to the Indian Ocean to aide in the search for missing Malaysian Airlines flight 370.
But Douglass, who saw the planes himself, doesn't agree.
'The SR-72 is still in development,' he said Tuesday. 'Plus it's a high-speed, high-Mach plane. These were going airliner speed. They were not in a hurry to get anywhere.'
The SR-72 is currently being developed by Lockheed Martin in California, and according to the company's website they say the plane could be operational as early as 2030.
It is the predecessor of the SR-71 which broke speed records when it flew from New York to Lonton in less than two hours in 1976.
Lockheed Martin's Hypersonics program manager Brad Leland wrote that the plane is designed to 'strike at nearly any location across a continent in less than an hour.'
'Speed is the next aviation advancement to counter emerging threats in the next several decades. The technology would be a game-changer in theater, similar to how stealth is changing the battlespace today,' Leland said.
Another source told the Chronicle that the plane was a B-2, but the two photographers discovered that no B-2s were flying in the country that day
The SR-72 is a successor to the SR-71 which broke speed records when it flew from New York to London in less than two hours in 1976
Another reader who wished not to be identified told the Chronicle with confidence that 'It's a B-2 stealth bomber flying out of Whiteman Air Force Base in Missouri.'
That's what the photographers thought when they first saw the group of aircraft, but they say they checked with the base and no B-2s were flying anywhere in the U.S. that day.
Instead, Douglass believes that the planes are a no type of spy plane - a stealth transport plane that could sneak troops into a another country unseen.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Video: Shocking, Pastor Also Records His Love Session With Wife And Got Leaked [18+]
- Breastfeeding Mum Caught Cheating In A Hotel With Her Lover
- Shocking: US Doctors Discover Woman With 2 Private Parts [Photos]
- Wife Caught Red Handed Cheating In Neighbour's House
- 2 Videos: Scary, Girl Curses Ex-Lover At The Riverside Over Her Leaked Nude Video
- Kwaku Manu Admits Fathering Liwin's Son, Wife Confesses
- Shocking What Some University Big Girls Do Secretly In Their Hostels [18+]
- Black girl with some killer dance moves
- YFM Radio Presenter Kidnapped And Gang Raped
- Why I Separated From Pawpaw, Aki Finally Opens Up
- Exclusive Video: The Legon Students Gay Porn Finally Out
- South African Girl Commits Suicide After S3x Tape Leaked
- Miss BumBums - Photos
- Kidnap And Rape Saga: Hotel Owner Reveals YFM Presenter, Ada Lied
- Bishop Obinim Reveals Sleeping With Junior Pastor's Wife Was A Good Thing
- Malawi Orders Police To Shoot Albinos Assailants
- I’m A Sick Man, Daddy Lumba Finally Opens Up
- 45 Year Old Struggling To Have S3x After Manhood Gets Too Big With Silicone Injections
- Could This Be For The Love Or For The Money?
- Ghanaian Pastor Gets 5 Years Jail Term In The UK
- Video: Scary, Girl Curses Ex-Lover At The Riverside Over Her Leaked Nude Video
- YFM Presenter Kidnap And Rape Saga: Boyfriend Reveals It Was Staged [Audio]
- Video: Suprising What Actress Roselyn Ngissah Said About Her S3x Positions And More
- Nadia Buari Shows Off Twins On Instagram
- Kumawood Actor, Akrobeto Replies Van Vicker
- Ice Prince Finally Reveals Why He Broke Up With Yvonne Nelson
- Bishop Obinim - My Church Members See Me As Jesus Christ [Video]
- Friend Discloses, Ms Ada Walked From Mankessim To Takoradi Half-Naked, With Rubbish As Boyfriends Birthday Gift
- CCTV Captures Ladies Shoplifting In Lagos
- Check Out 8 Celebrities Who Openly Bleached Their Skin
- Workers Strip Their Boss Naked - Photos
- 11 Times Ahuofe Patri Killed Us With Short Hair
- YFM Presenter Kidnap And Rape Saga: This Is What Afia Schwarzenegger Said About Ms. Ada’s Case
- VIDEO: Kenyan Lady Caught Hiding A 3 Months Old Baby Inside A Bag
- Secret Wedding: Pawpaw To Marry Ghanaian Girlfriend Soon
- Van Vicker Features Daughter In New Movie, Day After Death
- Denu Jail Breakers Finger Police
- Crocodile Attacks Wildebeest At Mara River
- VIDEO: I Once Washed Nkomode’s Car For Money, Akrobeto Confesses
- Tinny- Anaconda
- John Mahama Proffers Resignation As President Of Ghana