- The graffiti-themed bag collection has been mocked for its disheveled ‘art student’ appearance
- Chanel sales associates say it is sold out worldwide
By Misty White Sidell
Published: 17:03 GMT, 22 May 2014 | Updated: 17:36 GMT, 22 May 2014
Gwyneth Paltrow is the latest celebrity to be spotted with a piece from Chanel’s spray painted ‘Grafitti’ collection.
The newly-single actress, 41, was seen carrying the $3,800 tote at New York’s JFK airport on Wednesday.
She follows in the footsteps of Miley Cyrus, Diane Kruger, Lily Allen, Kristen Stewart, Kris Jenner and Khloe Kardashian, all of whom have been seen carrying the backpack version, which costs upwards of $3,400.
The 'It' bag: Chanel's Graffiti tote, seen her on Gwyneth Paltrow on Wednesday, is shaping up to be the bag of the season
Close-up: The bag is meant to resemble an art student's tote with graffiti, handmade lanyards, and frayed edges
Despite its popularity among the A-list, however, the collection has been much derided for its distressed, handmade appearance.
Presented as part of Chanel’s spring 2014 collection, the bag is intended to look like an art student’s school tote with tears, paint splotches, handcrafted lanyards, and an overall distressed feel. It is also, of course, covered in the brand’s signature ‘CC’ logo.
Indeed, last month, the Daily Mail’s Alice Smellie helped her five-year-old daughter make a replica for just £7 ($12).
This general opinion does not seem to have hampered sales though. A call to the Chanel store in New York’s SoHo revealed that the entire graffiti bag collection is sold out worldwide.
The Chanel sales associate told MailOnline: ‘It wasn’t even that bad, the price,’ attributing their popularity to a lower-than-average cost.
On the runway: The bag was presented as part of Chanel's spring 2014 show in Paris
Backpacker: The label's Grafitti backback has been spotted on a slew of stylish celebrities including Miley Cyrus (right) and Diane Kruger (left)
Many consumers, however, do not agree. Commenters on Purse Blog were widely offended by the bag’s price. A reader named Laura wrote: ‘These canvas bags are an insult.’
Another commenter named Kagem wrote: ‘Karl [Lagerfeld] could put the CC logo on a garbage bin and people would lap it up as some abstract monument of his genius… I'm getting tired of Karl’s weird sense of humour for the bags... It does look like a bag you can make with Crayola.’
And a reader who goes by LadyLiz said: ‘I really don't think it's worth the $3,400 price tag for splattered paint and a Chanel logo written in white out ....Thanks Karl, but no Thanks...you won't get us this time..next! [sic]’
The clan: Kris Jenner and Khloe Kardashian were both seen in the bags on separate trips to LAX
The celebrities who have been seen with the bags demonstrate various ways of styling it. Kristen Stewart and Diane Kruger – both likely gifted the bags by Chanel – have an understated approach.
Miley Cyrus, meanwhile, styled the backpack with a glam-rock aesthetic, wearing it last month in New York City with an oversize army green jacket, white sweatpants, and combat boots.
And leave it to the Kardashian clan to take the most straightforward glam-o-rama approach.
Kourtney Kardashian toted the backpack at LAX in early March – along with practical airport attire like netted stiletto boots and skin-tight skinny jeans.
Rebels: Kristen Stewart (left) and Lily Allen (right) both took their signature dressed-down approach to the backpack
Mother Kris Jenner also carried the backpack just a few days earlier at LAX, after returning from a trip to Asia. Like her daughter, Kris wore the purse with an all-black ensemble, but with more comfort in mind. In lieu of stilettos, she wore slip-on velvet sneakers.
Other fans of the bag include Lily Allen, who carried the backpack earlier this month, as well as Ashley Tisdale who was seen with it as she arrived in LAX following her Miami bachelorette party last weekend.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- VIDEO: Shame!! Wife Caught With Husband's Uncle Having Fun On A Farm - [+18]
- Big Brother Africa Shower Time
- Wife Caught With Husband Uncle Having Fun On A Farm
- Shocking What This Girl Did Inside A Swimming Pool
- Hilarious: See What This Lady Sent To Her Lover When He Asked For Boob Pictures
- Shocking video emerges of couple having sex in the street
- OMG!! Guys, Don’t Jump into Bed With Every Girl You See [Must Read]
- OMG!! 51 Year Old Sinitta Shows Off Her Underwear In High Slit Dress
- Shocking: See What This Guy Did To A Lady In Public - Photos
- Bishop Obinim Reacts To Widely Publicized P*nis Healing Video - [+18]
- SHOCKING: See Some Of The Evil Things NPP Do In Darkness
- Controversial Pastor, Obinim Shows Church Member’s Private Part On TV
- OMG!! Six Sports Stars Pose N*ked For ESPN Cover Shoots - Photos
- OMG!!Tupac Shakur Finally Comes Out After 19 Years Of Hiding - Video
- Sexy Actress, Moesha Boudong Shows-Off Her Twerking Skills
- Shame As This Guy Leaks Ex-Girlfriend's Private Photos [+18]
- Must Read: Guys!! Here Are The Reasons Why You Last A Minute In Bed
- 27 Year Old Woman’s Butt Implant Explodes At The Gym While Doing Squats - Video
- Just Imagine What This Man Is Doing To His Wife And Son - Photos
- 50 Year Old Woman Face Daily Barrage Of Abuse Because Of Her Over-Sized Asset
- Return of Sex Clinic
- Asamoah Gyan Begs Girl To Delete S3x Tape - [Audio]
- Police Officer Rapes Woman At Gunpoint For 7 Hours - Video
- Hilarious: Pastor Disgraced After Women Storm His Wedding Claiming To Be Married To Him - Raw Photos
- Reggie Rockstone Battles For His Life At The Hospital After..
- Married Woman Opens Up On Her Addiction To Men And S3x
- Over 2 Million Homosexuals Flood The Streets To Perform Mock Crucifixion Of Jesus
- BREAKING NEWS!! Prophet TB Joshua Guilty Of Killing 116 People, Magistrate Rules
- End Domestic Violence: Woman Matches Her Husband Blow For Blow Cheered By Neighbours
- Kim Kardashian To File For Divorce After She Caught Kanye West Masturbating To A Photo Of Himself
- Shocking!! Man Bites Off Lover's Clitoris Over Infidelity
- My Lifestyle Is All Fake, My Cars Are Rented And Jewelry Borrowed - US Rapper, 50 Cent Claims
- Sex Clinic
- Ghanaian Actress, Vicky Zugah Escapes Death After A KIA Truck Crashes Into Her Car - [Graphic Photos]
- Unblievable What Convicted Gay Doctor, Ali Gabass Told An Investigative Journalist
- BREAKING NEWS: President Mahama And Wife Escape Death
- Legalize Homosexuality In Ghana, Queenmother Insists
- US Rapper, 50 Cent To Pay $5Million For S3x Tape Leak
- Transgender Model Exposes Tyga; Reveals How They Met At A Concert In Chicago And Had S3x
- Celebrity Wedding: Top Kumawood Stars Set To Tie The Knot
- Gay-Marriage Legalization: US Islamic Preacher, Farrakhan Responds To Obama - Video
- President Mahama’s Son Sharaf - I Will Consider To Become A Professional Footballer