- The graffiti-themed bag collection has been mocked for its disheveled ‘art student’ appearance
- Chanel sales associates say it is sold out worldwide
By Misty White Sidell
Published: 17:03 GMT, 22 May 2014 | Updated: 17:36 GMT, 22 May 2014
Gwyneth Paltrow is the latest celebrity to be spotted with a piece from Chanel’s spray painted ‘Grafitti’ collection.
The newly-single actress, 41, was seen carrying the $3,800 tote at New York’s JFK airport on Wednesday.
She follows in the footsteps of Miley Cyrus, Diane Kruger, Lily Allen, Kristen Stewart, Kris Jenner and Khloe Kardashian, all of whom have been seen carrying the backpack version, which costs upwards of $3,400.
The 'It' bag: Chanel's Graffiti tote, seen her on Gwyneth Paltrow on Wednesday, is shaping up to be the bag of the season
Close-up: The bag is meant to resemble an art student's tote with graffiti, handmade lanyards, and frayed edges
Despite its popularity among the A-list, however, the collection has been much derided for its distressed, handmade appearance.
Presented as part of Chanel’s spring 2014 collection, the bag is intended to look like an art student’s school tote with tears, paint splotches, handcrafted lanyards, and an overall distressed feel. It is also, of course, covered in the brand’s signature ‘CC’ logo.
Indeed, last month, the Daily Mail’s Alice Smellie helped her five-year-old daughter make a replica for just £7 ($12).
This general opinion does not seem to have hampered sales though. A call to the Chanel store in New York’s SoHo revealed that the entire graffiti bag collection is sold out worldwide.
The Chanel sales associate told MailOnline: ‘It wasn’t even that bad, the price,’ attributing their popularity to a lower-than-average cost.
On the runway: The bag was presented as part of Chanel's spring 2014 show in Paris
Backpacker: The label's Grafitti backback has been spotted on a slew of stylish celebrities including Miley Cyrus (right) and Diane Kruger (left)
Many consumers, however, do not agree. Commenters on Purse Blog were widely offended by the bag’s price. A reader named Laura wrote: ‘These canvas bags are an insult.’
Another commenter named Kagem wrote: ‘Karl [Lagerfeld] could put the CC logo on a garbage bin and people would lap it up as some abstract monument of his genius… I'm getting tired of Karl’s weird sense of humour for the bags... It does look like a bag you can make with Crayola.’
And a reader who goes by LadyLiz said: ‘I really don't think it's worth the $3,400 price tag for splattered paint and a Chanel logo written in white out ....Thanks Karl, but no Thanks...you won't get us this time..next! [sic]’
The clan: Kris Jenner and Khloe Kardashian were both seen in the bags on separate trips to LAX
The celebrities who have been seen with the bags demonstrate various ways of styling it. Kristen Stewart and Diane Kruger – both likely gifted the bags by Chanel – have an understated approach.
Miley Cyrus, meanwhile, styled the backpack with a glam-rock aesthetic, wearing it last month in New York City with an oversize army green jacket, white sweatpants, and combat boots.
And leave it to the Kardashian clan to take the most straightforward glam-o-rama approach.
Kourtney Kardashian toted the backpack at LAX in early March – along with practical airport attire like netted stiletto boots and skin-tight skinny jeans.
Rebels: Kristen Stewart (left) and Lily Allen (right) both took their signature dressed-down approach to the backpack
Mother Kris Jenner also carried the backpack just a few days earlier at LAX, after returning from a trip to Asia. Like her daughter, Kris wore the purse with an all-black ensemble, but with more comfort in mind. In lieu of stilettos, she wore slip-on velvet sneakers.
Other fans of the bag include Lily Allen, who carried the backpack earlier this month, as well as Ashley Tisdale who was seen with it as she arrived in LAX following her Miami bachelorette party last weekend.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Prince Kelvin Boateng S3x Position By Akumaa Mama Zimbi
- Witch/wizard caught by Madina police
- MP's Wife Caught Having S3x With Her Boyfriend In The Bush - Photos
- Photo Of The Day: Ex- President, J.J. Rawlings’ Twin Brother Found
- “Why Should I Donate Money To Africa”, “What Has Africa Done For Me”?, Floyd Mayweather Opens Up
- Photos: Ghanaian Pastor’s Daughter Comes Out As Gay On Big Brother UK
- Nollywood Actor, Mike Ezuruonye Arrested In The USA - Photo
- Sakawa Boy Confesses - ''I Have $2 Million Dollars And 6 Bedroom House But Will Gladly Give Them Up If There Is A Way"
- VIDEO: Floyd Mayweather Should Postpone His Fight With Manny Pacquiao, Nana Kweku Bonsam Cries Out
- I Need A Husband, Genevieve Nnaji Confesses
- Nigerian Governor Adams Oshiomhole, 63, Marries 29 Year Old Model, Lara Fortes - Photos
- HILARIOUS!!: Man Raped By 3 Women At Gunpoint
- Funny Photo: Liwin Meets Barack And Michelle Obama
- Nkansah And The Prostitute
- Van Vicker Weeps During Interview At Dumsor Vigil
- SHOCKING: Nigerian Restaurant Shut Down For Serving Human Flesh
- Martin Anderson, Ghanaian Drug Trafficker Killed By Firing Squad In Indonesia
- Little Ladies Men
- Pentecost Deacon Caught In The Act
- Check Out 45 S3x Positions Every Couple Must Try
- Anas Attacks John Dumelo
- Yvonne Nelson Blasts Mahama
- Castro’s Father Reveals His Disappointed In Sarkodie
- Sarkodie Records With American Rapper Ace Hood - Photos
- KSM, Sarkodie And Others Meet Nana Akufo-Addo
- President Mahama Breaks Silence, Says ''I’ll Join Yvonne Nelson And Sarkodie For The #DumsorMustStop Demo"
- #DumsorMustStop Vigil: Yvonne Nelson And Others Begin Protest - Photos
- Barack Obama Lied About Osama’s Death To Claim Glory, Reports Reveal
- #DumsorMustStop Vigil: Fake HIV/AIDS Ambassador, Joyce Dzidzor Mensah Attacks Yvonne Nelson
- Agya Koo
- VIDEO: Mahama Lacks Skills To Manage Affairs – Yvonne Nelson Attacks
- VIDEO: Kwabena Kwabena Surprises Woman At Her Wedding In Germany
- Nollywood Actor, Chinedu Ikedieze And Wife On Romantic Trip To Paris
- Nigerian Billionaire, Dangote Dumps Girlfriend For Leaking Their Secrete Romance - Photos
- #DumsorMustStop Vigil: Yvonne Nelson Shows Us Venue - Video
- Yvonne Nelson Talks About The Effect Of Dumsor On Her Purse
- PHOTOS: Manny Pacquiao Arrives In La Vegas For Big Fight
- I Have Infected 712 Female University Students With HIV, Tamale S3x Tape Guy Reveals
- 50 Orgasms A Day: Amanda Gryce Finds Love As She Searches For Cure
- Guru - Obaa Jackie Chan (Official Video)
- Abusua Doing Remix On Castro's Song, Menam Na Metete
- See How Western Countries See Ghana