- The graffiti-themed bag collection has been mocked for its disheveled ‘art student’ appearance
- Chanel sales associates say it is sold out worldwide
By Misty White Sidell
Published: 17:03 GMT, 22 May 2014 | Updated: 17:36 GMT, 22 May 2014
Gwyneth Paltrow is the latest celebrity to be spotted with a piece from Chanel’s spray painted ‘Grafitti’ collection.
The newly-single actress, 41, was seen carrying the $3,800 tote at New York’s JFK airport on Wednesday.
She follows in the footsteps of Miley Cyrus, Diane Kruger, Lily Allen, Kristen Stewart, Kris Jenner and Khloe Kardashian, all of whom have been seen carrying the backpack version, which costs upwards of $3,400.
The 'It' bag: Chanel's Graffiti tote, seen her on Gwyneth Paltrow on Wednesday, is shaping up to be the bag of the season
Close-up: The bag is meant to resemble an art student's tote with graffiti, handmade lanyards, and frayed edges
Despite its popularity among the A-list, however, the collection has been much derided for its distressed, handmade appearance.
Presented as part of Chanel’s spring 2014 collection, the bag is intended to look like an art student’s school tote with tears, paint splotches, handcrafted lanyards, and an overall distressed feel. It is also, of course, covered in the brand’s signature ‘CC’ logo.
Indeed, last month, the Daily Mail’s Alice Smellie helped her five-year-old daughter make a replica for just £7 ($12).
This general opinion does not seem to have hampered sales though. A call to the Chanel store in New York’s SoHo revealed that the entire graffiti bag collection is sold out worldwide.
The Chanel sales associate told MailOnline: ‘It wasn’t even that bad, the price,’ attributing their popularity to a lower-than-average cost.
On the runway: The bag was presented as part of Chanel's spring 2014 show in Paris
Backpacker: The label's Grafitti backback has been spotted on a slew of stylish celebrities including Miley Cyrus (right) and Diane Kruger (left)
Many consumers, however, do not agree. Commenters on Purse Blog were widely offended by the bag’s price. A reader named Laura wrote: ‘These canvas bags are an insult.’
Another commenter named Kagem wrote: ‘Karl [Lagerfeld] could put the CC logo on a garbage bin and people would lap it up as some abstract monument of his genius… I'm getting tired of Karl’s weird sense of humour for the bags... It does look like a bag you can make with Crayola.’
And a reader who goes by LadyLiz said: ‘I really don't think it's worth the $3,400 price tag for splattered paint and a Chanel logo written in white out ....Thanks Karl, but no Thanks...you won't get us this time..next! [sic]’
The clan: Kris Jenner and Khloe Kardashian were both seen in the bags on separate trips to LAX
The celebrities who have been seen with the bags demonstrate various ways of styling it. Kristen Stewart and Diane Kruger – both likely gifted the bags by Chanel – have an understated approach.
Miley Cyrus, meanwhile, styled the backpack with a glam-rock aesthetic, wearing it last month in New York City with an oversize army green jacket, white sweatpants, and combat boots.
And leave it to the Kardashian clan to take the most straightforward glam-o-rama approach.
Kourtney Kardashian toted the backpack at LAX in early March – along with practical airport attire like netted stiletto boots and skin-tight skinny jeans.
Rebels: Kristen Stewart (left) and Lily Allen (right) both took their signature dressed-down approach to the backpack
Mother Kris Jenner also carried the backpack just a few days earlier at LAX, after returning from a trip to Asia. Like her daughter, Kris wore the purse with an all-black ensemble, but with more comfort in mind. In lieu of stilettos, she wore slip-on velvet sneakers.
Other fans of the bag include Lily Allen, who carried the backpack earlier this month, as well as Ashley Tisdale who was seen with it as she arrived in LAX following her Miami bachelorette party last weekend.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
- University Of Cape Coast SRC Student Dancing In The Nude - Video 2
- Pastor sleeps with teenage girl who came for prayers - Video
- John Dumelo And Christabel Ekeh's S3x Tape Leaks - Video
- UCC Student Naa Korkor Addo's Leaked Video Goes Viral - Video 1
- Kofi Ofori-Attah, Late Citi Fm Presenter’s Wife Demanded GHC 7,000 To Be F**ked In Obuasi - Audio
- Popular Politician Caught With Female Student In Hotel Room
- More Revelations About UCC Student Abena Korkor Addo Whose Private Videos Went Viral - Video
- Citi Fm Presenter Recorded 6,000 Phone Calls Of His Wife’s Conversation With Boyfriends Before Wife Killed Him - Audio
- My Husband Can't Satisfy Me In Bed, Woman Opens Up
- Mzbel Narrates How University Students Pulled Down Her Pants And Fingered Her After A Performance
- Woman Caught In S3x Scandal Few Days To Her Wedding
- I Love S3x With My Dad - Teenage Girl
- Late Citi FM Presenter Saga Continues: “Would You F**K Me In The Anus Or V*gina” - Audio
- Nigerian man who leaked nude photos of his Ugandan singer girlfriend online, arrested
- Captain Smart Of Adom FM Allegedly Defrauding Women, See Photos Of His Numerous Girlfriends
- Nollywood Actor Hanks Anuku Infected With HIV/AIDS After Sleeping With 80 Women
- Photos Of Popular Stars Naked In ESPN Magazine
- Transgender Woman Dies After Being Injected With Silicone
- Linda Afriyie, 54 Year Old Ghanaian Based In Staten Island, Killed After Leaping In front Of Train
- Obinim Schwarzenegar
- Nollywood Actress, Tonto Dikeh Is Pregnant, See Photo
- Gospel Musician Comfort Annor Cries For Financial Help As Kidney And Liver Fails
- Chris Attoh Weds Damilola Adegbite On Valentine’s Day - Photos
- Best S3x Positions To Satisfy A Woman If You Have A Small Manhood
- Twenty Most Hated People In Ghana Right Now
- Shs Student Killed Over Gay Sex
- Stephen Asamoah, Former Minister of Information Denies Bonking ‘Twerking’ UCC Girl
- Comfort Annor, Veteran Gospel Musician Is Dead!
- Popular Stars Strip For ESPN Magazine
- UCC Student Nana Abena Korkor Addo says she released the videos herself so nobody should be blamed
- Stolen Kiss
- Otumfuo Osei Tutu II Blasts Mahama
- Medical Student Reveals How She Escaped Rape
- Photos Of Black Stars Returning Home After Painful Defeat
- 28 Year Old Mother Cuts Children's Throats To Keep Them Quiet
- Asamoah Boateng, Former Minister Claims He Helped Korkor The UCC Student, But Didn’t Sleep With Her
- Anas Reveals Abuses In Orphanage Home (Photos)
- Check Out 5 Kumawood Actors With Bad Fashion Sense
- Check Out 14 Ghanaian Celebrities With Children But Are Not Married
- Abusua Bone
- Abusua Bone 4
- Check Out 24 Ghanaian Celebrity Beefs You Didn’t Know About And The Real Reasons Behind Them