- The graffiti-themed bag collection has been mocked for its disheveled ‘art student’ appearance
- Chanel sales associates say it is sold out worldwide
By Misty White Sidell
Published: 17:03 GMT, 22 May 2014 | Updated: 17:36 GMT, 22 May 2014
Gwyneth Paltrow is the latest celebrity to be spotted with a piece from Chanel’s spray painted ‘Grafitti’ collection.
The newly-single actress, 41, was seen carrying the $3,800 tote at New York’s JFK airport on Wednesday.
She follows in the footsteps of Miley Cyrus, Diane Kruger, Lily Allen, Kristen Stewart, Kris Jenner and Khloe Kardashian, all of whom have been seen carrying the backpack version, which costs upwards of $3,400.
The 'It' bag: Chanel's Graffiti tote, seen her on Gwyneth Paltrow on Wednesday, is shaping up to be the bag of the season
Close-up: The bag is meant to resemble an art student's tote with graffiti, handmade lanyards, and frayed edges
Despite its popularity among the A-list, however, the collection has been much derided for its distressed, handmade appearance.
Presented as part of Chanel’s spring 2014 collection, the bag is intended to look like an art student’s school tote with tears, paint splotches, handcrafted lanyards, and an overall distressed feel. It is also, of course, covered in the brand’s signature ‘CC’ logo.
Indeed, last month, the Daily Mail’s Alice Smellie helped her five-year-old daughter make a replica for just £7 ($12).
This general opinion does not seem to have hampered sales though. A call to the Chanel store in New York’s SoHo revealed that the entire graffiti bag collection is sold out worldwide.
The Chanel sales associate told MailOnline: ‘It wasn’t even that bad, the price,’ attributing their popularity to a lower-than-average cost.
On the runway: The bag was presented as part of Chanel's spring 2014 show in Paris
Backpacker: The label's Grafitti backback has been spotted on a slew of stylish celebrities including Miley Cyrus (right) and Diane Kruger (left)
Many consumers, however, do not agree. Commenters on Purse Blog were widely offended by the bag’s price. A reader named Laura wrote: ‘These canvas bags are an insult.’
Another commenter named Kagem wrote: ‘Karl [Lagerfeld] could put the CC logo on a garbage bin and people would lap it up as some abstract monument of his genius… I'm getting tired of Karl’s weird sense of humour for the bags... It does look like a bag you can make with Crayola.’
And a reader who goes by LadyLiz said: ‘I really don't think it's worth the $3,400 price tag for splattered paint and a Chanel logo written in white out ....Thanks Karl, but no Thanks...you won't get us this time..next! [sic]’
The clan: Kris Jenner and Khloe Kardashian were both seen in the bags on separate trips to LAX
The celebrities who have been seen with the bags demonstrate various ways of styling it. Kristen Stewart and Diane Kruger – both likely gifted the bags by Chanel – have an understated approach.
Miley Cyrus, meanwhile, styled the backpack with a glam-rock aesthetic, wearing it last month in New York City with an oversize army green jacket, white sweatpants, and combat boots.
And leave it to the Kardashian clan to take the most straightforward glam-o-rama approach.
Kourtney Kardashian toted the backpack at LAX in early March – along with practical airport attire like netted stiletto boots and skin-tight skinny jeans.
Rebels: Kristen Stewart (left) and Lily Allen (right) both took their signature dressed-down approach to the backpack
Mother Kris Jenner also carried the backpack just a few days earlier at LAX, after returning from a trip to Asia. Like her daughter, Kris wore the purse with an all-black ensemble, but with more comfort in mind. In lieu of stilettos, she wore slip-on velvet sneakers.
Other fans of the bag include Lily Allen, who carried the backpack earlier this month, as well as Ashley Tisdale who was seen with it as she arrived in LAX following her Miami bachelorette party last weekend.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Shame As Boyfriend Leaks Female Zimbabwean Police Officer's Nude Pictures - (+18)
- VIDEO: Shame As Married Woman Caught In An Uncompleted Building With Boyfriend Pants Down
- "Mahama Is A Disgrace To Ghana And Africa" - Robert Mugabe
- MUST READ: 10 Benefits of Sleeping N@ked You Probably Didn’t Know
- WATCH VIDEO: Celebrities Party Hard In Kumasi; Shatta Wale Spanks A Lady’s Butt
- VIDEO: 2 Ladies S3xually Assaults Man In a Store By Forcefully Twerking On Him
- X Factor reject Kiera Weathers suffers embarrassing nip slip as she puts on an energetic performance at G-A-Y in plunging jumpsuit
- UK Based Ghanaian Husband Stabbed His Wife 15 Times, Ran Her Over
- GRAPHIC VIDEO: Zimbabwean Pastor's Daughter In Leaked S3x-Tape Scandal
- I Have S3x Anytime I’m Going To Preach – Bishop Dag Heward-Mills Reveals
- ‘MzBel Has HIV Aids’ –The Social Media Fight Continues
- Prostitute Dies After Marathon S3x With Several Customers
- VIDEO: Unbelievable! London Bus Driver Caught Masturbating While Watching P0rn Inside Bus
- WATCH VIDEO: A Tearful Tribute To Late Model/Actor/TV Host Sam Sarpong
- Pastor From Nigeria Who Sucks Women's Breast For Healing Opens A Church In Kenya
- Akumaa Mama Zimbi In A Tough Fight With Pappy Kojo Over “Yi Wo Dross” Comment
- Lawyer Maurice Ampaw Exposes Asamoah Gyan In Court
- PHOTOS: Oheneyere Gifty Anti And Husband In Church
- Hit or Miss? Take A Closer Look At Actress Moesha Boduong’s B0obs Falling Out Of Her Dress - Photos
- AT LAST: Nana Aba Anamoah Resigns From TV3 After Ruckus
- You Need To Watch These Free Style Dancers At The GMB Finals
- WATCH: Video of Man Caught on Camera Masturbating in Shopping Mall Goes Viral
- Yvonne Nelson Spoke Like A "Bush Girl"; I Demand An Apology – Shatta Wale Fires
- BREAKING: Serena Williams Pregnant; Is Drake And Tennis Star Expecting A Baby?
- EXPOSED: Mahama Poisoned John Evans Atta Mills?
- VIDEO: Meet The 5 Richest Women In Ghana 2015
- OMG!! You Need To See The Hottest Girls Caught Doing The Dumbest Things
- S3x Tape Scandal: Court Throws Out Asamoah Gyan’s ‘Evidence Of Threat’ In Court From Journalist
- JUST IN: BullDog Breaks Up With Shatta Wale
- Karim Benzema Faces 5 Years In Jail Over S3xtape Blackmail
- Full Audio: “Bulldog Threatened To Kill Me Like He Killed The Guy” – Shatta Wale Exposes
- Late Sam Sarpong's Sister Describes His Passing As ‘A Loss For The World’
- EXCLUSIVE: Ghana's Undercover Journalist, Anas Aremeyaw Anas Unmasked
- Netherlands Government Gives Ghanaian Man Taxi To Return Home
- BREAKING NEWS: ISIS-Trained Ghanaians Returning Home – Security Analyst Warns
- More Trouble For France As French High-Speed Train Derails And Catches Fire Near Strasbourg, Leaves 5 Dead
- Why Does S3x Hurt? 15 Quick Signs Something’s Not Right
- Cocaine Girl, Nayele Won’t Benefit From Ghana-UK Prisoner Swap Deal
- US Model, Amber Rose Unknowingly Insults Nollywood Actor, Mr Ibu
- Diamond Appiah Slept With A Footballer For $100?
- Shame As This Ghanaian Babe Leaks Her Bedroom Photos With A Rich Man
- British/Ghanaian Actor, Sam Sarpong Commits Suicide At Age, 40