- The graffiti-themed bag collection has been mocked for its disheveled ‘art student’ appearance
- Chanel sales associates say it is sold out worldwide
By Misty White Sidell
Published: 17:03 GMT, 22 May 2014 | Updated: 17:36 GMT, 22 May 2014
Gwyneth Paltrow is the latest celebrity to be spotted with a piece from Chanel’s spray painted ‘Grafitti’ collection.
The newly-single actress, 41, was seen carrying the $3,800 tote at New York’s JFK airport on Wednesday.
She follows in the footsteps of Miley Cyrus, Diane Kruger, Lily Allen, Kristen Stewart, Kris Jenner and Khloe Kardashian, all of whom have been seen carrying the backpack version, which costs upwards of $3,400.
The 'It' bag: Chanel's Graffiti tote, seen her on Gwyneth Paltrow on Wednesday, is shaping up to be the bag of the season
Close-up: The bag is meant to resemble an art student's tote with graffiti, handmade lanyards, and frayed edges
Despite its popularity among the A-list, however, the collection has been much derided for its distressed, handmade appearance.
Presented as part of Chanel’s spring 2014 collection, the bag is intended to look like an art student’s school tote with tears, paint splotches, handcrafted lanyards, and an overall distressed feel. It is also, of course, covered in the brand’s signature ‘CC’ logo.
Indeed, last month, the Daily Mail’s Alice Smellie helped her five-year-old daughter make a replica for just £7 ($12).
This general opinion does not seem to have hampered sales though. A call to the Chanel store in New York’s SoHo revealed that the entire graffiti bag collection is sold out worldwide.
The Chanel sales associate told MailOnline: ‘It wasn’t even that bad, the price,’ attributing their popularity to a lower-than-average cost.
On the runway: The bag was presented as part of Chanel's spring 2014 show in Paris
Backpacker: The label's Grafitti backback has been spotted on a slew of stylish celebrities including Miley Cyrus (right) and Diane Kruger (left)
Many consumers, however, do not agree. Commenters on Purse Blog were widely offended by the bag’s price. A reader named Laura wrote: ‘These canvas bags are an insult.’
Another commenter named Kagem wrote: ‘Karl [Lagerfeld] could put the CC logo on a garbage bin and people would lap it up as some abstract monument of his genius… I'm getting tired of Karl’s weird sense of humour for the bags... It does look like a bag you can make with Crayola.’
And a reader who goes by LadyLiz said: ‘I really don't think it's worth the $3,400 price tag for splattered paint and a Chanel logo written in white out ....Thanks Karl, but no Thanks...you won't get us this time..next! [sic]’
The clan: Kris Jenner and Khloe Kardashian were both seen in the bags on separate trips to LAX
The celebrities who have been seen with the bags demonstrate various ways of styling it. Kristen Stewart and Diane Kruger – both likely gifted the bags by Chanel – have an understated approach.
Miley Cyrus, meanwhile, styled the backpack with a glam-rock aesthetic, wearing it last month in New York City with an oversize army green jacket, white sweatpants, and combat boots.
And leave it to the Kardashian clan to take the most straightforward glam-o-rama approach.
Kourtney Kardashian toted the backpack at LAX in early March – along with practical airport attire like netted stiletto boots and skin-tight skinny jeans.
Rebels: Kristen Stewart (left) and Lily Allen (right) both took their signature dressed-down approach to the backpack
Mother Kris Jenner also carried the backpack just a few days earlier at LAX, after returning from a trip to Asia. Like her daughter, Kris wore the purse with an all-black ensemble, but with more comfort in mind. In lieu of stilettos, she wore slip-on velvet sneakers.
Other fans of the bag include Lily Allen, who carried the backpack earlier this month, as well as Ashley Tisdale who was seen with it as she arrived in LAX following her Miami bachelorette party last weekend.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Video: Shocking, Pastor Also Records His Love Session With Wife And Got Leaked [18+]
- Breastfeeding Mum Caught Cheating In A Hotel With Her Lover
- Shocking: US Doctors Discover Woman With 2 Private Parts [Photos]
- Wife Caught Red Handed Cheating In Neighbour's House
- 2 Videos: Scary, Girl Curses Ex-Lover At The Riverside Over Her Leaked Nude Video
- Kwaku Manu Admits Fathering Liwin's Son, Wife Confesses
- Shocking What Some University Big Girls Do Secretly In Their Hostels [18+]
- Black girl with some killer dance moves
- YFM Radio Presenter Kidnapped And Gang Raped
- Why I Separated From Pawpaw, Aki Finally Opens Up
- Exclusive Video: The Legon Students Gay Porn Finally Out
- South African Girl Commits Suicide After S3x Tape Leaked
- Miss BumBums - Photos
- Kidnap And Rape Saga: Hotel Owner Reveals YFM Presenter, Ada Lied
- Bishop Obinim Reveals Sleeping With Junior Pastor's Wife Was A Good Thing
- Malawi Orders Police To Shoot Albinos Assailants
- I’m A Sick Man, Daddy Lumba Finally Opens Up
- 45 Year Old Struggling To Have S3x After Manhood Gets Too Big With Silicone Injections
- Could This Be For The Love Or For The Money?
- Ghanaian Pastor Gets 5 Years Jail Term In The UK
- Video: Scary, Girl Curses Ex-Lover At The Riverside Over Her Leaked Nude Video
- Video: Suprising What Actress Roselyn Ngissah Said About Her S3x Positions And More
- YFM Presenter Kidnap And Rape Saga: Boyfriend Reveals It Was Staged [Audio]
- Nadia Buari Shows Off Twins On Instagram
- Kumawood Actor, Akrobeto Replies Van Vicker
- Ice Prince Finally Reveals Why He Broke Up With Yvonne Nelson
- Bishop Obinim - My Church Members See Me As Jesus Christ [Video]
- Friend Discloses, Ms Ada Walked From Mankessim To Takoradi Half-Naked, With Rubbish As Boyfriends Birthday Gift
- CCTV Captures Ladies Shoplifting In Lagos
- Check Out 8 Celebrities Who Openly Bleached Their Skin
- Workers Strip Their Boss Naked - Photos
- 11 Times Ahuofe Patri Killed Us With Short Hair
- YFM Presenter Kidnap And Rape Saga: This Is What Afia Schwarzenegger Said About Ms. Ada’s Case
- VIDEO: Kenyan Lady Caught Hiding A 3 Months Old Baby Inside A Bag
- Secret Wedding: Pawpaw To Marry Ghanaian Girlfriend Soon
- Van Vicker Features Daughter In New Movie, Day After Death
- Denu Jail Breakers Finger Police
- Crocodile Attacks Wildebeest At Mara River
- VIDEO: I Once Washed Nkomode’s Car For Money, Akrobeto Confesses
- Tinny- Anaconda
- John Mahama Proffers Resignation As President Of Ghana